Russian authorities denied that a virus outbreak has hit the country after videos circulating online showed rows of ambulances lining up outside infectious disease hospitals in Moscow.
The Moscow Department of Health responded after Russian-language Telegram channel Baza, which is linked to the country’s security services, released the footage and said the ambulances were filmed outside two hospitals in the capital on Sunday evening.
“A queue of ambulances at Infectious Diseases Hospitals No. 1 and No. 2 in Moscow,” Baza reported. “Most of the sick people have pneumonia. According to Baza, about 30 ambulances gathered at the first hospital, and more than 10 ambulances at the second hospital.”
Days earlier, Russian media outlet MK.ru reported that an “incomprehensible virus began to spread across Russia.”
Newsweek contacted Russia’s foreign ministry for comment via email.
The local health department said lines of ambulances waiting outside hospitals is not unusual, and that infection rates for COVID-19 and acute respiratory viral infections (ARVI) have not increased in recent weeks.
“The situation when several ambulances arrive for hospitalization in an infectious diseases hospital is standard,” it said in a statement. “The growth in the incidence of ARVI and COVID in Moscow has slowed down; the figures for the last week do not exceed the data of the previous period. And COVID incidence rates have been declining for 2 weeks. Over the next 1-2 weeks, the incidence rate is predicted to reach a plateau.”
Russia: A massive queue of ambulances arrived at Moscow's Infectious Disease Hospitals #1 and #2. The majority of patients brought in reportedly have symptoms of pneumonia. pic.twitter.com/HDAk0cGCsS
— Igor Sushko (@igorsushko) December 17, 2023
